Monday, August 3, 2009

Supermom doesn't live here....



Even though I swore for the last almost 17 months...that she did...and that at random times I would rip open a super sassy top I was wearing to expose my Super Mom uniform underneath...Sexy Blue Tights and all....


Only to realize belatedly....that all I was exposing...was my ultra worn in bra....and one worn out me....


Yesterday....Was my hit the wall....mini epiphany day....where I realized I just can't do it anymore...


I can't try to be Supermom...I wasn't born on her planet....


I think it started with having a super hectic busy week since returning from our long vacation...The week of my yearly cancer scans are always a stressful time.....add in hosting a baby shower....creating amazingly cute works of baby art......and dealing with a child who is learning that getting his point across by tantrums...is the way to go!! Or so he thinks....


and logically I can see how I could have my own day of a toddler like tantrum


Then I think...maybe it's been bubbling for longer.....With trying to be the perfect someone...for everyone....daughter, daughter in law, guest.....driving companion....mom....then trying to gently, yet firmly tell the different families about how we do our schedule...without stepping on toes...

I became an exhausted mess after everyone left....


and finally....I realized...I haven't even taken my own advice....(well technically that isn't a surprise....)


I can't begin to count how many times I've had friends and neighbors say the blessed words all moms love to hear...."If you ever need me to watch him...let me know...so you can HAVE A BREAK."....What a break....and I'm not taking advantage of these people....to the point they won't return my phone calls?...


No....because I feel I can do it all...on my own....no help....


I'm delusional...because Supermom doesn't live here....


and I'm starting to realize that I have my kryptonite....


and it's totally Okay!!!



(Do they have therapy groups for people like me?)


11 comments:

S Club Mama said...

I think it's called blogging. That's my therapy!

I am having a similar problem. I don't like asking for help so I'll do everything on my own. And then I explode at the only help I have (my wonderful husband) - and I'm lucky because he forgives me every time. It's hard to ask for help. And we're fairly new in town so all of the people I would ask for help are new acquaintances and I wouldn't even know what to ask them to help with.

Jill said...

I have no help what so ever! I don't like to ask anyone to watch my girls in fear of them maybe never speaking to me again.. lol and I feel at times like I am going to explode. Sometimes I count down to the year they turn 18!
Until then.... it's full time mommyhood for me.. and looks like you too! :) Thank goodness we can let it out on here

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

It happens to the best of us! (all of us!)

I finally just surrendered and take my days bit by bit...really just try to live in the moment...

Don't be afraid to ask for help! It is the best thing to do!

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

It is hard to relinquish control but I have found that after spending too long feeling stressed and overwhelmed it was really helpful to just ask for help. It is so nice to get out of the house on my own every once in while even if it is just going to the grocery store.

Liz Mays said...

She certainly doesn't live here either!

We all have our buttons and our moments and we wouldn't be human if we didn't.

Loukia said...

Blogging is my therapy, too! And it's free, can't get better than that, right? ;) Please don't try to be supermom... it's impossible and it does not exist in real life!

lynn said...

hey supermom! thanks for stopping by my blog - i'm also a fellow NJ girl! woo hoo!!! Now....take some time for yourself and ask for help!!!

Unknown said...

I'm not one to ask for help... In fact, and I know you may call me crazy for this... my husband has offered to hire someone to come help clean our place twice a month and I told him I don't want it!!!! What is wrong with me? I've seen my place and know the demands of my child, I could use the help!

Anonymous said...

Blogging is really fun!
thankz for commenting, love your blog! just going to become a follower

Alicia said...

i think the group is called SITS! lol...i'm the same way...i never take anyone up on the offer. for some reason i like to needlessly suffer!

MrsM said...

Supermom is a myth. Anyone who tells you that they love every single minute of motherhood and walk around in a glow of calm togetherness and skinny hotness is a BOLD FACED LIAR. Anyone who tells you they think their child(ren) are perfect little angels who never overwhelm them and who can learn to be rocket scientists through osmosis overnight (by the age of 2) is ALSO a liar.

The truth is all kids can be monsters, and all moms get tired. Everyone cuts corners, and no one gets everything done. As moms all we can do is do our best with what we've got, and pony up for the therapy later.