Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mr Independent OR Letting Go To Early?


Growing up, my mother always called me fearless.....saying I liked to go where Angels feared to tread....Growing up in a Ski Town in Colorado, there was never a shortage of hills to climb, runs to ski, jumps to take or woods to explore...and she was more than happy to let me spread my wings and be the adventurer I loved being...I think city living has turned me soft....I can't remember the last exploration I've done beyond trying to make my way through the throngs of other women at the last Nordstrom Shoe Sale....


Hearing how I independent I was as a child....It totally doesn't surprise me that Noah has fallen too far from this tree. From the moment he was walking on only 2 legs, he was off figuring out new things to do....ie: going mach 30 down the stairs on his tummy.....or figuring out that he can fit through the doggy door....thus figuring out he can go out into the fenced backyard anytime he wishes....


I've always thought my allowing him to be independent...and adventerous was not such a bad thing....but a fellow mommy at Chick-Fil-A recently made me wonder...am I letting him be TOO independent?


After a Five star meal of chicken nuggets and chocolate milk...Noah was having a killer time utilizing every inch of the Play structure.....granted....I totally realize that it is NOT designed for 2 year olds....but after the first time he made it all the way up....and all the way down...I realized he was so good to go.....


As I was sitting there Buddha Belly and all another mom came in with her toddler....where she promptly and consistently kept him contained to the toddler area....When she noticed Noah come flying down the slide she asked me


"How old is he?"


"He just turned 2"


"Oh, wow....my son is almost 3"


"That's great" I reply


"I don't think I'd have the guts to let my son up there by himself....seems dangerous"


Now I'm sure there are a billion and one ways to take that comment....I chose to take it as the "wow your brave to let your two year old do that.....are you nuts?" Well maybe not the nuts part...but I did take that she wasn't sure all my parental faculties were there.


I've had days to think about it, since the encounter.....and I've realized....it's okay.....I'm okay....Noah is DEFINITELY okay......It's not as if I'm sticking him in a boat...letting him sail the world by himself at 2.....I'm letting him spread his wings a little more everyday.....but Mama is still in control....So what if I let him take flying leaps of the couch, I make sure there are pillows on the floor...I guess I just want him to adventerous, and confident...just call him the Indiana Jones of the Toddler Set....okay, maybe not quite THAT adventerous....but you get the picture

and if he ever does get stuck in the play structure.....me and my big buddha belly will just have to go up and get him.....




TheBabyOutlet

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our son was climbing big giant play structures at 2 also.

We went to family night at the Y last year where they had a huge inflatable obstacle course set up. Half the workers stopped to watch him climb this thing because he was so small (not only in age but in size as well).

Meghan said...

She sounds a little over protective. My guy has been in those things since he was 2.

Noah is fine.

Perhaps you should have told her to live a little & let her almost 3 yo go have some kiddie fun!

Anonymous said...

Definitely better to let him be adventurous than to be 'that' overprotective mom.

Michelle said...

He is fine! Any Chick-fil-a I've been in the play structures are only so big. If he's been up there before he isn't going to get stuck. If he did and you couldn't go up there pregnant and older kid would definitely go get him for you. B did climb up the chuck e cheese one at 3 years old and start crying because he couldn't get down but my sister just climbed up and got him.

Moms are so judgemental. Just ignore the overprotective mama and her comments!

Life Without Pink said...

Wait so I didnt realize you were having another boy? Welcome to my club! Boys are the best though and watching them play together is so so sweet. You live near me right? Oh we need to hang out one day and get our boys together {well obviously after your little guy gets here :)}.