Monday, March 9, 2009

"Words To Live By" Worthy of Pondering....



Says the old Spiral Notebook I found amongst the things I have acquired from my Grandmother.....




hmmmm.....A collection of ponderings.....an insight into insight......or just an interesting way to spend a few nights full of preganancy induced insomnia....(uh huh...I know that's right).....






Pages upon pages of old yellowed newspaper clippings....some underlined....some with her always recognizable scribble.....all....profoundly entertaining.....and strangely enough...still relevent....even though some were written....even before beehives and horned rims...were considered good form....beehives relevent....(well if you are Amy Winehouse....okay...well maybe not....but you get the drift)




One Such little tid bit of knowledge that had me laughing in my empty container of Ben and Jerry's Half Baked, and actually had me turn off the midnight showing of High School Reunion (Because I cannot find anything else as captivating at 12:00 A.M. as old high schoold Du-ra-mah rearing it's ugly head amongst 40 year olds) .... was written in 1958...
It's kind of a June Cleaver meets the Modern Day Working Wife......

"It Takes A Lot Of Living To Make A Woman A Wife".....(the modern woman in me wanted to say what the hell is that supposed to mean?)....but patience....(a virtue I am learning)




Any woman has lived quite a while before she learns-




That the easiest way to sell a man on an idea is to make him think it was his idea in the first place.




That what she wears to a party isn't nearly as important as having something to say to people once she gets there.




That the most successful spur of the moment parties are given by women who plan for such emergencies carefully in advance.




That some kinds of news should never be given to a husband until after a good dinner.




That other women's houses don't always look as perfect as they do at party time.




That a woman who can't train her family to be neat hasn't a ghost of a chance at being a good housekeeper.




That a man really can be too tired to play bridge with another couple, but not too tired to play poker with the boys.




That nothing irritates a man more than having his wife tell hime "I told you so"




That the surest way of getting a good looking dress is to take her husband, rather than her best friend along when she goes shopping.




That when a man starts talking about how much oil the old car is using, he already has a new car picked out.




That if she treats her husband lika a VIP, she will never have to worry about other women.




That a man's idea of good natured woman is one who never brings up an old grievance, never points out his faults and never blames him when things go wrong.




That it's foolish to envy another woman's possessions.






I have to laugh....except for I don't know too many couples who play bridge.....and usually a good dinner for my husband does NOT involve me cooking.....




I guess the old adage is still true.....If it ain't broke....don't fix it....




Wonder if that's what my Grandma had in mind......








12 comments:

MOMMY-MOMO said...

those are great!!!

Jaden Paige said...

hahaha those are so funny!

I would add, though, that yes, you might find a better looking dress if you bring the hubby, but the shopping will be like pulling teeth! Better to bring the best friend, trust your OWN judgment on the dress, and have a blast shopping, I think! :)

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

All True I would say.

Bethany said...

Great quotes!!

This just reminded me of these vintage looking cocktail napkins that I have that say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me." Ha!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I love this post! A friend of mine sent me something similar and I just giggled away! I love that you have that notebook! What a treasure:) How lucky for you!

Green said...

I bet she did have that in mind :)

clicky!

Anonymous said...

These are great - this one "That what she wears to a party isn't nearly as important as having something to say to people once she gets there." although I agree that some news should only be shared after a good meal.

Gretchen said...

That is a wonderful post. I am going to either print it out or email it to myself and try to remind myself.

I'm having a little trouble training my family... maybe the reason I am a horrible housekeeper!

Connie said...

I hope that my children enjoy going through my journals and notebooks and appreciate what I have written.

What a treat to have her knowledge!

Kris said...

What a TREASURE!!! I would have enjoyed the half-baked too at the same time! ;)

April said...

Wow......I'll bet your Grandmother had a happy husband, a lovely family, and could put on one spectacular dinner party!

Green said...

clicky :)