Friday, August 26, 2011

In The Kitchen: Tortellini Soup



So if you've ever wondered what I would do to prepare for a hurricane.....


not that I can imagine you would wonder, but if it one day crossed your mind while folding the laundry....or while sitting in the dentists chair....I have an answer for you...

I make Tortellini Soup....

Sounds perfectly logical doesn't it?


At least I know while Irene is doing her dirty work outside my door....I'll be hunkered down...comforting myself with a fabulous bowl of Tortellini soup......

I highly recommend putting it on your hurricane preparedness list...right before Batteries...and right after water.....


Tortellini Soup


1 lb. Italian Sausage, Casings Removed
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
6 c. Beef Broth
1 16.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes, drained
1 16.5 oz can Tomato Sauce
1/2 c. GOOD Dry Red Wine
1 Zucchini sliced and quartered
1 Carrot Sliced
1 Green Bell Pepper Diced
16 oz bag Frozen Cheese Tortellini
Grated Parmesan Cheese


1. In Skillet, Brown Sausage...when sausage is browned, add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes until soft.

2. In Stock Pot, add Beef broth, Tomatoes and Tomato Sauce, Red Wine, Zucchini, Carrot, Pepper and Sausage Mixture. Bring to Boil, then lower temperature to med/low...simmering for 60-90 minutes.

3. Add Tortellini, and cook an additional 5-10 minutes until heated through

4. Serve with Crusty Bread, and top with Grated Parmesan Cheese




In all seriousness though, my thoughts and prayers are with all those who are braving Irene with me this coming weekend.....may she veer a little more to the East.....


2 comments:

Rach said...

Oh wow that looks completely delicious!

You guys stay safe!

Caren with a "C" said...

Sounds yummy! Long ago when I lived on the East Coast I made soup for blizzard weather. It was great comfort food. I hope you are staying safe and have power!